This is undoubtedly one of the biggest problems with digital marketing at the moment. Spammy referrals can skew your traffic massively.
This could affect a smaller business’ website data in excess of 50% and in turn will skew conversion rates and ultimately your insight and knowledge on how your website is performing.
There is plenty out there on the web on the techniques to do this but we have found there is only one sure fire way to fix this and save you time.
OK, start your watches: ready, set, go.
1. Open up your analytics
2. Click ‘All Users’ and ‘add new segment’ (red button left hand side)
3. Under the advanced section click ‘conditions
4. Name the segment (something to do with ‘referral spam’)
5. Change the following;
- ‘adcontent’ to ‘source’
- ‘include’ to ‘exclude’
- ‘contains’ to ‘matches regex’
7. Copy and paste the list of websites into the field and remember to save
Now because of the nature of these pesky bots constantly evolving and new ones popping up, we have to make sure this is ever green but we have a pretty comprehensive list that will help you make your data much more precise and let you report more accurately to your boss.
If you need any help with the implementation of this, please don’t hesitate to contact us.